The launcher and .desktop files

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Sep 21 18:00:26 UTC 2013

On 09/21/2013 05:46 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> I compiled something and I want it in the launcher, so I ran the
> program, right clicked new icon in the launcher, then ”Keep in the
> launcher” (or something like that – I run Ubuntu in Swedish).
>
> Now, the icon is named ”Namnlöst fönster” (”Nameless window”) and the
> icon is a question mark. Of course I want a proper icon and a proper
> name for it and I guess clicking that ”Keep in launcher” thing created a
> .desktop file for me somewhere, right?
>
> So where is it? I want to edit it… I searched for it but I didn't find
> it because I don't know what to look for except .desktop. There is no
> .desktop file in my system named ”Namnlöst fönster” or anything that I
> can think of.
>

> Johnny Rosenberg

Create the script he wrote, and search for fönster. Here's his post:

 the short bash script bellow you can use to find text files
containing one word, but my attempts at trying to make it find more
than one word within the same file haven't been successful

 Of course, you can go monkey and list all files containing each word
and then sort and compare those list, but I want to do just one search
per file

 You can find all files containing either "import" or
"BufferedReader", but not both words in the same file. Also, how can
you use such a the same of a similar script to search for sequences of
characters containing spaces and other especial characters? Say,
something like:

_WRD="import javax.swing|new BufferedReader"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
# 2 edit
_WRD="import|BufferedReader"

# !2 edit

_PP="|"

_RPLC="_"

_DT=$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)
_OFL="${_DT}_${_WRD//${_PP}/${_RPLC}}".search.log

echo "\$_OFL: |$_OFL|"

date; time find /media/sdb1/prjx -type f -iname "*.java" -exec grep -l
"${_WRD}" '{}' \; > ${_OFL}; date

wc -l ${_OFL}

 lbrtchx

If that doesn't work, then installing Recoll may do the job.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M.Greeley