how to install a .package?

Mauro Sanna mrsanna1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 21:01:46 UTC 2013

On 13 September 2013 22:46, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> Mauro Sanna wrote:
> > On 13 September 2013 22:00, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> > > tail --bytes=1169788 LaCie\ Network\ Assistant\ 1.1\ Linux.package |
> > > lzma -d | tar x
> >
> > Sorry for my ignorance, can you explain what that command does?
>
> The .package file is a bash script with additional data appended. The
> interesting part is at the end which is a .tar.lzma file. The command
> consists of several parts:
>
> "tail --bytes=1169788 LaCie\ Network\ Assistant\ 1.1\ Linux.package"
> prints the file to standard output but it removes the first 1169788
> bytes which are the bash script and the downloader for the autopackage
> files.
>
> With the "|" the output of the tail command is passed to "lzma -d" which
> uncompresses the input and prints the result to the standard output.
>
> The output is passed to "tar x" which unpacks the input (which is
> actually a tar file now) in the current directory.
>
> And from your other post I can see that you need these additional
> packages:
>
> libssl0.9.8 libgtk2.0-0 libatk1.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libpango1.0-0
> libxinerama1 libavahi-common3 libavahi-client3
>
> Well, those are the package names for Ubuntu 12.04. If you are using
> another Ubuntu version, please install the package apt-file and run the
> command
>
> sudo apt-file update
>
> Maybe that is done automatically during installation already, but it
> doesn't hurt to run it again. Then search for each library with a
> command like
>
> apt-file search libssl.so.0.9.8
>
> etc. - that shows the package names you need.

Thank you very much.
I've installed all libraries needed but when I run the script it always
says:

Sorry, Autopackage only supports x86 32-bit systems, or 64-bit systems with
compatibility libraries installed. Please install the compatibility
libraries and rerun install

I've tried to run the bin extracted but it does not work.
It is bothering me I leave.