How to check whether blas/lapack/atlas is built with g77 or gfortran?

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Wed Sep 11 12:45:48 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-13 18:28, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>

> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/install.html#fortran-abi-mismatch
>
> The above URL says the following " In particular, if your
> blas/lapack/atlas is built with g77, you must use g77 when building
> numpy and scipy; on the contrary, if your atlas is built with
> gfortran, you must build numpy/scipy with gfortran. "
>
> But I'm not sure how to figure out whether g77 or gfortran is used to
> compile blas/lapack/atlas on ubuntu. Could anybody let me know?
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Peng

The text you quote continues as follows:

Choosing the fortran compiler

To build with g77:

python setup.py build --fcompiler=gnu
To build with gfortran:

python setup.py build --fcompiler=gnu95
For more information see:

python setup.py build --help-fcompiler

How to check the ABI of blas/lapack/atlas

One relatively simple and reliable way to check for the compiler used
to build a library is to use ldd on the library. If libg2c.so is a
dependency, this means that g77 has been used. If libgfortran.so is a a
dependency, gfortran has been used. If both are dependencies, this means
both have been used, which is almost always a very bad idea.

^^^ this last section should help you out :-)

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman