Probably stupid question, but

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Thu Sep 5 07:51:16 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-04 22:39, Robert Holtzm wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 08:38:17AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>        ........snip.......
>>
>> I am 100% with Patrick on this. NM is NOT ready for prime time,
>> chase it
>> out of the barn with a load of buckshot in its behind & don't let it
>> back
>> on the property until it can play nice.
>
> I accept the fact that you've had problems w/ NM, but how do you
> account
> for the thousands of users who use it successfully every day? If it
> were wide spread I would think there would be a flood of messages on
> this list and on the forums. But then what do I know?

For your amusement, here is the result of 5 seconds on Google:
http://cholla.mmto.org/computers/linux/nm.html
http://marc.merlins.org/perso/linux/post_2009-07-19_Upgraded-to-Jaunty_-Network-Manager-Still-Sucks-Balls_-2_6_30_1-not-that-stable_-and-Comcast-Business-Exceeding-Expectations.html
http://saveandrewgarib.com/?articleid=221

But please note that all of those links are a few years old.

What seems to have happened is that more and more people used Linux on
laptops, and there was no tool for properly handling wifi connections.
NM did that bit pretty well, so it was added to Linux... but it seems
they forgot that NM was maybe not the best thing for some non-wifi
applications.

NM seems to have matured now, and it is probably a great tool, unifying
network setup in all the different distros.
Maybe it was introduced too soon.
Or maybe we should just accept that such a unification process will
always burn a minority before becoming an improvement for (almost)
everyone.

Best regards,
Patrick