Anyone interested in a "GNOME 2 look and feel" remix?

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 10:00:55 UTC 2013

On 24 October 2013 16:28, Ben Tinner <bentinner at yahoo.com.sg> wrote:

> Never mind about the question. I have found MATE in the Ubuntu repositories. I am now currently building a Ubuntu 13.10 image with MATE installed.
>
> By the way why the packages for MATE(mate-common) is in universe and not in main?

*snip*

We like people to bottom post on this list to make the conversation
easier to follow.

[1] - The repository components are:

Main - Officially supported software.

Restricted - Supported software that is not available under a
completely free license.

Universe - Community maintained software, i.e. not officially
supported software.

Multiverse - Software that is not free.

A more full detailed explanation is on the main page [2]. So to me,
the reason it's in Universe is that it's community maintained software
and not officially supported by Canonical. As for how to get MATE
moved into Main you would probably be best off asking on a Ubuntu
Development mailing list than a user one, contact details for the
development team are available on their website [3].

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories
[3] http://developer.ubuntu.com/community/

--