Window 8 in efi mode and Ubuntu in legacy bios mode

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 16:14:10 UTC 2013

On 22 October 2013 17:02, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> I used Win 8 to make the recovery dvd's so I should be ok there.

Ah, no, hang on -- *recovery* is *not* the same thing as *installation*.

Recovery puts your machine back the way it was. It's restoring a backup.

Installing means placing a fresh new copy of the software on the machine.

So, I ask again: do you have *installation media* for Win8 or any way
of getting them?

I am not being pedantic for fun. It's absolutely critically important
that you use the right words in the right way, because details are
all-important with this stuff. If you change an option or are
reporting an error, you must be *verbatim* in your description, word
for word, number for number, punctuation mark for punctuation mark.

The biggest problem for me in tech support over the years has been
people who don't understand stuff and leave out what they think are
unimportant details, or change words, like "disk" instead of
"partition" or "file". Support people can't work with that. You have
to be *absolutely* exact.

If someone has posted something you don't understand, then reply and
say so, highlighting the words/phrases/lines that were unclear to you.

Now, for example:

You are saying that now the Ubuntu live media boots OK. What EXACTLY
have you changed for this to happen? Does Windows still boot?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884