Window 8 in efi mode and Ubuntu in legacy bios mode

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Oct 22 01:16:32 UTC 2013

I am again trying to dual boot Win 8 and Ubuntu 13.10 on a Toshiba
laptop, though a different one this time.

The only way I can get the live DVD to boot to a usable desktop is to
turn off the efi boot and put nomodeset in grub.

I've done a lot of googling on dual booting and find many references
that basically say that both OS's must use the same scheme, ie both efi
or both bios.  What I can't find is the consequences of not doing that.
If it means to boot Win 8 I must enable efi and to boot to Ubuntu I must
disable it, that would be ok, but I doubt it is that simple.

I have found some schemes to install Ubuntu in legacy mode and then
switch to efi but they are so complicated I doubt I could follow them.

Does anyone have any experience with trying to install with them
mis-matched?

Thanks,  Jim