Window 8 in efi mode and Ubuntu in legacy bios mode

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Tue Oct 22 01:53:51 UTC 2013

On 10/21/2013 09:16 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> I am again trying to dual boot Win 8 and Ubuntu 13.10 on a Toshiba
> laptop, though a different one this time.
>
> The only way I can get the live DVD to boot to a usable desktop is to
> turn off the efi boot and put nomodeset in grub.
>
> I've done a lot of googling on dual booting and find many references
> that basically say that both OS's must use the same scheme, ie both efi
> or both bios.  What I can't find is the consequences of not doing that.
> If it means to boot Win 8 I must enable efi and to boot to Ubuntu I must
> disable it, that would be ok, but I doubt it is that simple.
>
> I have found some schemes to install Ubuntu in legacy mode and then
> switch to efi but they are so complicated I doubt I could follow them.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with trying to install with them
> mis-matched?
>
> Thanks,  Jim

Not a real answer, but partially a question: When you turn off efi (on
the computer, I think you mean) does the computer "look like" it has
a bios? If it does, then you should be able to install Windows 8 to
it in that mode. I have a machine with about a 3-year old mobo that has
only bios, and I have Win 8.0 and Linux (pclos) installed, no sweat.
Boots with grub to either system--actually to Win and three Linuxes--
pclos kde 32, pclos kde 64, and Mint kde 64. BTW: Win 8.0 with
Classic Shell (free) looks just like Win 7. I think you can make it
look like XP if you wish, but not sure. Get KDE for Windows just
to get the file finder--it also has Dolphin file manager, which is
handy.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley