New HDD

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 13:10:10 UTC 2013

On 13 October 2013 21:10, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> If the laptop doesn't boot from a USB stick it will probably also not
> boot from a USB disk.

This.

Pete, can you temporarily attach the new hard disk to another PC,
install on there and then transplant it?

Or can you go to your local library or Internet café and burn the
Ubuntu DVD there?

I would not personally go for Saucy until release, but then, that
should be in just a couple of weeks now. Since I turned off Mir, my
test install has been fast and solid on my Toshiba Satellite Pro.

If your laptop's BIOS cannot boot from USB but the laptop has working
USB2 ports, then a PLOP boot CD will probably get it booting off USB.
The Plop boot manager is tiny - it fits easily onto a 720kB floppy -
so you could download and burn it in 2min on someone else's computer.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884