New HDD

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Oct 13 20:10:13 UTC 2013

pete smout wrote:
> I have brought a new HDD for my laptop, and I want to install 13.10
> (saucy) onto it, the problem starts that my DVD burner is on the
> fritz, and I cannot get my lappy to boot from USB stick!
>
> So I was wondering if there is a way of installing it to the new drive
> via USB (I own a USB HDD caddy), Unetbootin does not recognize the
> HDD caddy and startup disk creator does not create a bootable HDD!

If the laptop doesn't boot from a USB stick it will probably also not
boot from a USB disk. But if you want to install the 13.10 system via
USB and then replace the disk in the laptop with the new one, it should
work. Install Virtualbox with the USB extension from the virtualbox site
<https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads>. Make a virtual machine
without virtual disk. Then use the 13.10 ISO file as a virtual DVD and
the USB disk as the only disk. Install as usual and then put the new
disk in your laptop.

> Failing this is there a way of 'cloneing' my current HDD onto the new
> one so I can then upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10?

You could use gparted to clone your partition(s) to the USB disk. I'm
not sure if that is possible if you can't start from a LiveCD/DVD
though, probably gparted can only clone unmounted partitions. But if it
works, don't restart the system with both disks connected because the
UUIDs of the partitions are cloned as well. I suppose the system might
not bahave as expected if the UUID for the root partition exists twice.

Nils