Amazon icon

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 9 20:31:54 UTC 2013

On 9 October 2013 16:51, Tom Rausner <tom at rausner.dk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Den 08-10-2013 08:56, Colin Law skrev:
>

>>That's odd, I have just added the mail.ru webapp (by going to mail.ru
>>in firefox and telling it to install it), then pinned it to the
>>launcher, and in .local/share/applications I see mailrumailru.desktop.
>>I also find it odd that you are seeing png files in
>>.local/share/applications.
>
> That's what happens /when I ad/ something too (obviously).
> But you forget the fact that I haven't put the Amazon icon in the launcher.
> It came with the system ( by 'The System' I'm refering to Ubuntu).

I had not realised the system came with amazon preloaded, but you are
right.  The desktop file is
/usr/share/applications/ubuntu-amazon-default.desktop and the exec
line is
Exec=unity-webapps-runner --amazon --app-id=ubuntu-amazon-default
Which is not immediately a great step forwards as we still don't know
how that knows which url to use.  Perhaps it is hard coded, which
would be bad.

> Are you still with me ?
>
> When I didn't find any 'whatever.desktop' (apart from the ones belonging to
> the files I added) I
> assumed the 'Ubuntu crew' (meaning the guys who compiled 'The System'
> [please look above])
> might have put the configuration file (for the Amazon icon [remember?]) in
> some other place.

It is in /usr/share/applications.

> I haven't lost you... have I ?

No

>>I don't understand what you mean when you say "programs that I've put on
>> the desktop myself".
>>Do you mean the Desktop (which is a folder in your home directory) or the
>> launcher or
>>something else?
>
> .desktop files are called so because they relate to icons /on the
> desktop//./ But in order to keep an
> orderly desktop these are gathered in the launcher.

They are called .desktop files because they /used/ to be intended to
be put on the desktop (ie in the Desktop folder).  You can still put
them on the desktop if you want to, which is why I had to ask exactly
what you are doing.  You said that you had put them on the desktop,
which is at least ambiguous.

> Are we on the same page... now ?

I understand what you are saying now you have clarified things.  I am
still worried about the png files in .local/share/applications.  That
seems very odd.

Off to try and work out what to look at next.

Colin