Installing Ubuntu on a Toshiba laptop with Windows 8

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Oct 8 00:17:52 UTC 2013

On 10/07/2013 03:15 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 10/07/2013 03:31 PM, chris wrote:

>>> Which is why I came here seeking help.  The partition figures I posted
>>> came from the Ubuntu installer screen.  Earlier when I had Ubuntu
>>> running from the live dvd I looked at it with gpartd and all the
>>> partitions I listed where displayed next to each other across the top
>>> of the screen.
>>>
>>> My goal is to leave Windows 8 on the disk, not setup and unactivated
>>> so if I need it in the future I could just set it up. Maybe that is
>>> not even possible, I couldn't find any info about that by googling,
>>> but then I am a poor googler.

>>> 500 GB
>>>
>>> Regards,  Jim
>>>

>> Win 8 has three primary partitions, which only leaves one primary,
>> available. So you put root on that and then the rest into  extended
>> partitions.
>
> Or, you dump Win8 and get your machine back to where you own it. :) Ric

Usually I do.  The last desktop I bought had Win 7 on it. It was easy to
unplug the HD and pop a new one in to install Ubuntu.  The prior laptop
had Win 7 on it also, not as easy to swap HD's there. I read through the
eula's and thought no way will I let you dictate to me what I can and
can't do with my own computer, so I wiped Win 7 and installed Ubuntu.
Now I wish I had dual booted it.  My daughters laptop went bad so I gave
her mine.  She as adapted to Ubuntu quite well but still needs to use
windows sometimes, which means she must use a very old laptop with xp on
it.  If I had dual booted it would have saved her that trouble.  That's
the only reason I'm trying to keep Win 8 around.

Regards,  Jim