USB sound

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 7 20:30:14 UTC 2013

On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 14:44:16 -0400
Ric Moore wrote:

> > Bus 001 Device 016: ID 04b4:930b Cypress Semiconductor Corp
> Ok, seeing the device is half the battle. Others on this list in the
> past have disabled HDA in order for the 'more primitive" plain-jane
> audio to become available. Forage around in your bios and, if found,
> turn it off. If all you are going to use is the USB device, turn off
> support for onboard sound, for the time being. It's not like it's
> permanent.

I disabled onboard sound in the BIOS.  All that's happened, unsurprisingly,
is the built-in sound is no longer listed.

> Just for ducks, as alsa seems hell bent on using both HDA sound devices.
> So, remove them. Funny that you seem to have two sound cards, both set
> to HDA. If one is a secondary card, remove it too. You can always put it
> back in. The trick will be to get the USB sound device working now. Ric

The other HDA is I think provided by the video card, which I can't take out.

But in any event, given that it used to work, the most likely scenario is
software configuration - maybe it's to do with UDEV, or whatever handles
USB connections, but most likely to do with Alsa, which doesn't want to
initialize USB for some reason.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber