Saving off Windows to install Ubuntu

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 4 12:56:53 UTC 2013

On 04/10/13 19:43, John R. Sowden wrote:

[pruned]

> I started with Linux in the 90s with the first distro with a book I
> could find, Red Hat 5.2.  I found that after a while, distros started
> catering to the majority of the users that were using their version.
> Red Hat went the "server" route, and I found Suse and stayed with it
> for a couple of years.  It worked will with dosemu.  I found KDE fat
> and slow, and catering the the MS Windows crowd (lots of eye candy).
> I also didn't like the fact that Suse climbed into bed with MS.  Then
> I head about Ubuntu, Mark's history, his method of getting Ubuntu in
> the scene NOW, and listened to the chatter and found that it was
> directed to the desktop, lesser experienced user, so I tried it.  When
> he went down the Unity path (I believe this is an attempt to create a
> common user interface for computers, tablets, smart phones, and touch
> screen laptops/notebooks/netbooks), I decided to make a change, but
> what Mark did, was to give us a variety of Ubuntus, so I didn't have
> to leave Ubuntu, I just went to a different version (xubuntu) and used
> xfce, as I like simple, clean, no hand holding graphics.

It is rather surprising, but not really unexpected, that people like
yourself misunderstand what openSUSE offers in the way of desktops. When
you install openSUSE you have the choice - all in the one installation
package - of installing anyone of these Desktops:

KDE

Gnome

XFCE

ICEWM

  FVWM

and at least a couple of others. The choice is yours as to which one you
want to install.

Or,if you are so inclined, you can install ALL the available Desktops
during the installation process and then choose which one to use for a
session when you are logging on: simply select on the menu where you
enter your login name/password the Desktop you want to use. Want to use
another one? Then logout of the current session, logout back in again
(without rebooting of course) using another Desktop. Simple, easy.

It is true that the 2 Desktops which are the preferred ones in openSUSE
are KDE and Gnome and are therefore shown as defaults but the others are
there for selection by simply clicking on the Other Desktops box during
installation (or much later if that is what you turns you on :-) ).

[pruned]

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.2 & kernel 3.11.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor