'invisible' pgms?

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sun Nov 24 05:30:51 UTC 2013

Hello Pete,

Saturday, November 23, 2013, 1:17:16 AM, Pete wrote:

> @google hope you enjoyed reading this, It had nothing to do with you!
> sent from my HTC.
> On Nov 23, 2013 1:09 AM, "rikona" <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>> The only solution I have found for the scrambled desktops/'fragile' OS
>> is a reboot, and to accept losing all of my work in apps that just
>> 'disappear'. :-(
>>
>> When I reboot I close whatever remains, one at a time, saving what I
>> can before yet another pgm 'disappears'.
>>
>> But - when I was just doing this [after yet another problem] I did an
>> alt tab to check what was still there. There were two kinds of things:
>> (1) an item that I would select with alt tab but nothing happens when
>> I do, and (2) an item that I would select with alt tab but what
>> appears is JUST the border/outline line of the window with nothing
>> inside. At the top is the dark bar with the 3 icons to close etc. Only
>> the close does anything, and seems to close the [window] outline.
>>
>> This almost-a-window is like a terminal window, but with no text in
>> the top bar, just the 3 buttons, and the middle is completely
>> transparent as though there is nothing there. Just a thin line around
>> the whole thing.
>>
>> Now, is it possible that this almost-a-window is one of the
>> 'invisible' apps actually still running? If so, is there a way to get
>> it to display the entire window, with the contents? This would be
>> GREAT because then I might not lose all my work!
>>
>> All suggestions much appreciated...
>>
>>   rikona
>>

>> --

> Hi,

> I saw a similar issue on 11.04, and the 'answer' was to switch from
> 'compiz' to 'metacity'  for window management!
> The easiest way I found to do this was to install 'compiz fusion icon'
> which appears on the top bar, r-click and set window manager to metacity.

> I thought that the problem had been solved by the time 12.04 came out but
> thought I'd mention it incase it helps!

Thanks very much for the suggestion! I've heard 'compiz' and
'metacity' mentioned, but I know essentially nothing about them. I'd
like to have a bit better understanding before I just do 'something'
to the box. :-) And it looks like there is quite a bit to it too. I
looked to see what graphics I have, and both 'compiz', and 'metacity'
are installed. The newly-installed compiz settings pgm has an
interesting caution when it is run - essentially "be careful, this can
disable your comp". Advice like that makes me cautious. :-)

Back to the short-term question - is there a way to display the full
almost-a-window, with the contents?

> Good luck

Thanks - I usually need it when I muck with the guts of the box. :-)

--

 rikona