How to check drive health

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 18:33:01 UTC 2013

I highly recommend HD Sentinel.  The Linux client is free:

http://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_linux.php

Here is a good description of why it improves on simply reading SMART data:

http://www.hdsentinel.com/smart/index.php

In general though, if you want to check the SMART data

sudo apt-get install smartmontools

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdX

where /dev/sdX is the hard drive you want to check.

Preston