No ethernet connection with new instal of 12.04 desktop on Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop - lshw says "network unclaimed"

Andrew andy.allen at virgin.net
Thu Nov 14 16:33:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-11-13 at 11:11 +0000, Pete Smout wrote:

> laptop
> disk
> last

Problem was apparently due to conflict with Bcm wireless driver
installed during installation of 12.04, which effectively prevented
ethernet connection. Instructions at
http://askubuntu.com/questions/55868/how-to-install-broadcom-wireless-drivers-bcm43xx
allowed ethernet to be activated (by removal of bcmwl-kernel-source) and
then wireless driver to be installed and activated. So 12.04 now appears
to be working OK on my Dell laptop.

Andy