shell scripting

pluto mars plutomars955 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 16:23:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

I need some help with shell scripting (/bin/sh) in ubuntu.

In a shell script I want to turn down an interface, say eth0 and then turn
it up.
So something like

ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

But what I want in my shell script is to check and wait till eth0 is up and
then start doing something next in my shell script.
So something like "if ( eth0 not is up ) { sleep 1 }. But how do I do this
in shell scripting ?

And then also I want something similar for checking if syslog process is up
or not. Because actually I am writing syslog through that interface to
another computer. So I want to check if eth0 is up. If up, check if syslog
process is up, if not start, if yes, write something to syslog.

regards,

pluto