13.04 will not boot up after spindown

John Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Fri May 31 01:12:45 UTC 2013

On 05/28/2013 10:42 PM, John Sowden wrote:
> I used my 13.04 Ubuntu this morning fine.  I then stopped using it for
> a few hours.  When I tried to start it up (move mouse, press arrow
> keys, etc.) no action.  The screen is black( but on), the computer
> does not respond.  I tried to access another virtual screen (tried alt
> F1 and ctrl alt f1 (forgot which is right), no action. Powered down
> (pushed power sw for 20 sec. Then powered up: leds flashed on both dvd
> drives, heard a noise fan or hd?, no action on the screen.  I
> unplugged the vga conn. got a no signal. plugged it back in, black.
> The only change to the 'system'  that I have made recently is to turn
> off the screen after a while and spin down the hd after a while (exact
> times unknown).
>
> thoughts?
>
> John
>
> psst: is this what 'kernel panic' means?

I discovered something else.  I had the same issue happen again. This
time, I unplugged the AC from the power supply, left it off for about a
minute to discharge the capacitors, then plugged it back in.  The system
booted up ok.  I think this is a power features issue.  I attempted to
access the power features application to turn off the shut down
features, but I got an error that the program no longer exists.

Hope this helps someone,
John

pssst.: thanks for the 'kernel panic' definition.  I was in a panic, so
I thought it applied.  :)