computer was dead, now ok?

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Thu May 30 00:52:42 UTC 2013

I sent a request for help yesterday because my Ubuntu 13.04 decided to
stop, not wake up from a spin down.  Sorry for not following the thread,
but that was sent on a different computer.

Anyway, for the benefit of anyone with a similar circumstances:

1) I verified that a windows computer I recently bought works fine.
2) I removed the windows HD and installed my Ubuntu HD.  It ran fine,
except that
I could not access the internet.  It tried to access Ethernet 2. Nothing
helped in the net tools, etc.  Loopback worked fine.
3) I installed the windows hd in my computer.  I got a windows "stop
screen" and a message that if this happens again, remove any new HD or
HD controller.  I was able to boot up in the safe mode.
4) I installed the Ubuntu drive in my computer.  This time I got the
Compaq splash screen and the option to enter the BIOS, which I did not.
I selected a recovery mode.  Did a file system check, and then ran
'normal' from the recovery menu.  It flashed a few things on the screen
that I could not read, one showed 'failed' (in red), and then the
display went black.  the HD was spinning but no seeking.
5) I shut it down and rebooted, selecting the most recent Ubuntu. It
came up fine, net and all.

I have no idea for sure what it was.  The sata connector seemed a little
loose on the MB end, but nothing else was amiss.

hope this helps someone,

John