Timer plugin

Mike Kupfer m.kupfer at acm.org
Thu May 23 04:31:45 UTC 2013

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I just installed xfce4-timer-plugin from the repos into my 12.04 xubuntu
> system.
>
> I did not see it immediately, so I rebooted.

You have to manually add it to a panel.  I was able to download it and
add it (Xubuntu 12.04 x86_64).  Thanks for mentioning this plugin--it
looks like something I might find useful. :-)

> I still do not see it, and I notice I do not see the panel thingy that used
> to show up when the cursor touched to bottom of the window.  So I may have
> 1 problem or 2 problems.  I need help with it, or both of them, as the case
> may be.
>
> I don't even know the name of that panel thingy...  It's not something I
> went out of my way to install, so it must be a part of virgin 12.04.

The default Xubuntu configuration puts an auto-hide panel at the bottom
of the display, with a bunch of launchers in it.  I assume that's the
thing you're talking about here.  (If it's not, ignore the rest of this
email.)

If you have any panels visible, you can bring up the panel preferences
window by right-clicking in a panel.  (If you click on an item in the
panel, the panels menu is accessible from the bottom of the item's
menu.)

The panel preferences window lets you set the properties for any
panel--there's a popup list of panels at the top of the preferences
window.  So the first thing I'd do is see which panels are defined, and
are any of them auto-hide.

Oh, I'm assuming that when you move the mouse to the bottom of the
display, it's roughly centered horizontally.  If it's not in the region
where the panel resides, the panel won't unhide.

regards,
mike