Timer plugin

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Fri May 24 14:40:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM, Mike Kupfer <m.kupfer at acm.org> wrote:

> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>
> > I just installed xfce4-timer-plugin from the repos into my 12.04 xubuntu
> > system.
> >
> > I did not see it immediately, so I rebooted.
>
> You have to manually add it to a panel.  I was able to download it and
> add it (Xubuntu 12.04 x86_64).  Thanks for mentioning this plugin--it
> looks like something I might find useful. :-)
>
> > I still do not see it, and I notice I do not see the panel thingy that
> used
> > to show up when the cursor touched to bottom of the window.  So I may
> have
> > 1 problem or 2 problems.  I need help with it, or both of them, as the
> case
> > may be.
> >
> > I don't even know the name of that panel thingy...  It's not something I
> > went out of my way to install, so it must be a part of virgin 12.04.
>
> The default Xubuntu configuration puts an auto-hide panel at the bottom
> of the display, with a bunch of launchers in it.  I assume that's the
> thing you're talking about here.  (If it's not, ignore the rest of this
> email.)
>
> If you have any panels visible, you can bring up the panel preferences
> window by right-clicking in a panel.  (If you click on an item in the
> panel, the panels menu is accessible from the bottom of the item's
> menu.)
>
> The panel preferences window lets you set the properties for any
> panel--there's a popup list of panels at the top of the preferences
> window.  So the first thing I'd do is see which panels are defined, and
> are any of them auto-hide.
>
> Oh, I'm assuming that when you move the mouse to the bottom of the
> display, it's roughly centered horizontally.  If it's not in the region
> where the panel resides, the panel won't unhide.
>
> regards,
> mike

Right.  That's the "thingy" -- a panel.  I no longer had one.  I was about
to complain about this when it occurred to me that my dual-screen
setup just might have foiled it.  You see, the monitor I have on the
right is a 1920x1080 HD, and the one on the left is and old 1680x1050.
I had them set up aligned on the top, which meant the right desktop
extended below the left desktop.  It also meant I could never get to
the panel with the mouse.

However, now that I can un-hide the panel, I followed you instructions.
I added the timer to the panel, or at least I tried, but it is not there.

When I go back into the add thing in the panel, the timer is at the
bottom of the list, but is greyed-out.  Still no timer.

--
Kevin O'Gorman