How to uninstall things installed with dpkg?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun May 19 17:12:36 UTC 2013

On 19 May 2013 17:54, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:
> I downloaded Apache OpenOffice and installed it a while ago on my
> Ubuntu 12.04 system. Now I ran into some dependency issues when
> installing a package that also started to install LibreOffice for some
> strange reason.
> I have tried a lot of things to get out of this ”dependency hell”, but
> nothing helped so far. Next thing to try is to uninstall Apache
> OpenOffice (3.4), but I can't figure out how to do it.
> I still have the installation files (a lot of deb files) and I used
> dpkg -i o* in the DEBS folder to install it, plus the same in the
> DEBS/desktop-integration folder.
> But uninstalling it doesn't seem too obvious to me…

When in doubt, cheat.

Run Synaptic. If it's not there, install it. Enter "openoffice" as
your search string. Press Return.

Now, click the column header of installation status to sort all the
installed packages to the top.

Select them all. (Hold down Shift, click the first, then the last.)

Right-click and pick "remove".

Click Apply.

Done.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884