[libreoffice-users] ”Artifacts” in OpenOffice and LibreOffice

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed May 15 19:37:00 UTC 2013

On 05/15/2013 11:25 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>> Wow, I used to run an elderly 5200, then a 5500, without a burp in the
>> barrel. Your only recourse might be to install the nVidia install run-file
>> directly from nVidia. When it compiles it ought to set itself out all nice
>> and straight.
>>
>> Ah! a google came up with this probable fix
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/37629/geforce-go-7300-7400-blacklisted-can-i-still-run-unity
>
> That page only describe how to start Unity 3D with a blacklisted card.
> I have done that already, that's why I get those ”artifacts”. Before I
> did it, I could only run Unity 2D.
> So, to be extra clear:
> When running Unity 2D I have no problems.
> When running Unity 3D, without the fix that's described at the page
> you linked to, I end up with Unity 2D anyway.
> After the fix was done (months ago), I can run Unity 3D with all the
> fancy desktop effects, BUT I get those ”artifacts” when running
> OpenOffice or LibreOffice.
> So I DID the Blacklisted Graphics Card Workaround, and therefore I now
> have these problems, as it seems. So there was obviously a reason to
> blacklist the card in the first place…
>

>> You might give that a whirl... you DO need the 173 driver for older nvidia
>> cards, which is what I used to use myself with older nvidia cards. Ric
>
> I have had the 173 driver installed a while ago, but I don't remember
> now if I had those ”artifacts” or not with that driver. I will try it
> again as soon as possible. Also, I didn't try the open source driver
> yet.

As far as I know, it's still not "accelerated". If you reduce the video
depth to 16, you might lose those "artifacts". I'd strongly advise you
do that. Killing off xorg.conf hasn't always been a good thing for those
who need to tweak their video for best performance. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html