Re: Fwd: ”Artifacts” in OpenOffice and LibreOffice

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Wed May 15 15:38:17 UTC 2013

2013/5/15 Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com>:
> On 05/12/2013 03:47 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> I am not sure it's even possible to replace my graphics card; it's a
>> laptop. I have been planning to replace it with a desktop computer
>> since 2010, but so far I didn't, for some reason… Maybe I should
>> finally do it.
>

> Ah! For an "older" laptop you might be best off not going for a desktop with
> hotrod graphic effects at all. Install XFCE, or Lubuntu,

I hate both of them, so no, I won't do that mistake again. And my
laptop is not THAT old… And it worked perfectly with Ubuntu 10.10 with
desktop effects on (those I think I need, I didn't try all of them at
once…). I even had a lot of swimming fish inside the cube without any
problems… (that's not one of the effects I usually use though, I was
just testing). But since Ubuntu 12.04 (I went directly from 10.10 to
12.04 with a fresh install, only keeping my old home partition)I found
a lot of problems with Compiz, that I didn't experience previously.

> which is what I did
> for an "older" (10 years old) Thinkpad. It works reasonably well. In the
> long run, a desktop that you can modify cheaply is best on a "limited
> budget", from my perspective. The laptop is good enough to run Thunderbird
> and Firefox (but not at once!) which suits me as I am rarely on the road
> anymore. :) Ric

I don't run Firefox nor Thunderbird, so I don't know much about that.
Okay, I run Firefox maybe once a week or so, but still…

Johnny Rosenberg