Using Mate for Precision Is there a way to start the application menu editor from a terminal.

Stephen stephen_o at bell.net
Wed May 8 22:12:07 UTC 2013

under the "Applications" menu I noticed it is putting everything I
install in wine under "Other" and the menu is a mess. There are no sub
folder all the apps from every program are just mixe to in one folder.

I found an item that says to edit:
/etc/xdg/menus/mate-applications.menu, and add <MergeDir> after
<DefaultMergeDirs/>:
and add under the: <DefaultMergeDirs/>
This: <MergeDir>applications-merged</MergeDir>

Now I have the "Applications > Wine" menu item but all the wine programs
are still in the "Applications > Other" heading.

I want to edit the application menu to move them to the "Wine"
application menu.

The instructions I found were to go to the "System" > "Preferences" >
and select "Main Menu" and then I can edit the Application menu. The
problem is there is no "Main Menu" item in the list.

Is there a way to start the application menu editor from a terminal.

Thank you in advance.
Stephen.