disabling of XWindows start on ubunt

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon May 6 15:32:36 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Kevin Wilson <wkevils at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I admit that I haven't been following the thread too closely and the
>>> significance of the "recovery mode" escaped me for the reason that I have
>>> never had to resort to "recovery mode".
>>>
>>> I would simply boot my system in the normal manner but at the grub menu I
>>> would enter "init 1" on the boot command line and would then be taken to
>>> user level #1 where I would issue the command, as root, "mount -o remount,
>>> ro /dev/sdXy" (followed by "e2fsck /dev/sdXy" to have the file system
>>> checked, which was the only time I ever used this procedure).
>>
>> The difference between recovery mode and single mode is that, since
>> 12.04 (and perhaps earlier), recovery mode appends "recovery" to the
>> "linux" grub line rather than "single" and that leads to mounting "/"
>> ro whereas when "single" is appended to the "linux" grub line, "/" is
>> mounted rw.
>>
>> If we were still running grub1, we'd be able to set up the automagic
>> system so that "update-grub" would create three different options for
>> each kernel, "standard", "single", and "recovery", but grub2's removed
>> that flexibility. :(
>>
>> "Traditionally," you could boot with "/" ro by appending "-b" to the
>> kernel's grub options but I've never tried it with upstart's
>> "/sbin/init". Assuming that "-b" still works with upstart, it must
>> enable less "stuff" than "recovery" does because when I've used "-b"
>> on Debian, I've had to use sysrq to reboot.
>
> Update from the front:
> 1) Ubuntu 13.04 *server* installation when great, it booted!
> 2) After "apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop"
> and reboot, it hanged after Xwindows started and I inserted the
> correct password of the non root user I created. I waited over 5
> minutes, booted again, nothing helped.
> 3) I opened a terminal (ctrl/f2 or alt/ctrl/f2, can't remember exactly) and
> ran "apt-upgrade". In case this does not solve it, and in next boot it hangs
> again, I will unfortunately consider returning to Fedora

Please don't top post!

Questions...

1) Why are you installing Server if you want Desktop?

2) Why are you using "--no-install-recommends"? If/when you return to
Fedora, you'll be installing whatever you're installing with
recommends because there's no differentiation between depends and
recommends in Fedora.