re-install

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 23 04:45:52 UTC 2013

On 23/03/13 08:17, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 03/22/2013 04:43 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 22/03/13 05:37, Ric Moore wrote:
>
>>> We;re now runnning a VM with MyCloud installed to it, where I store
>>> the irreplaceable documents/files of ours. So, I have that online with
>>> it's own dedicated IP address. :) Ric
>>
>> Oh lordy......and you trust this Cloud thingie not to be hacked, not to
>> crash and wipe out all your "irreplaceable documents/files" and other
>> data, not to sell your data to the guvvmint or advertising agencies or
>> to private investigation companies?
>>
>> Lordy, lordy, but you are such a trusting soul, you are :-) .
>>
>> And, out of curiosity, how much per month do you pay for this
>> "privilege"? Much less than the one-off cost of an external 120GB HDD or
>> a 120GB USB memory stick?
> Huh? ...it's running on our own Proxmox server (using Debian server)
> and one of the VM's is the MyCloud application running on it's own
> static IP address.

OK. Just the mention of the word "cloud" conjures up horrific images of
unsavoury events.

But as I have never heard of MyCloud application - wot exactly is it?

> It's all ours. The only cost was an older 2 core server with 8 gigs of
> ram, plus the static IP's which we have more of than we're using, at
> the current moment. I'm running two instances of WordPress on that box
> as well. I'm looking to add more soon.

A question: is this server located locally or sited at some other
location? (In other words, the eggs are not all in the same basket :-) .)

> We're fighting with a "new" refurbed Cisco router though and the
> entire crate is down for now. Ric

(One of the things which I *sorely* miss and which worries me no end is
that with all my previous computers I had the HDDs sitting in mobile
cradles and I could therefore remove the drives and also swap HDDs in
and out at will. But I cannot find cradles for the new computer(s) (not
only because of the SATA 3 needs but also of the size of the cradles
with all the current ones I looked at too big to fit inside the case
because the mobo is in the way :-( ). Maybe I am looking in the wrong
places.....Or get a new Antec case....)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 with KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.3-1