re-install

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 19:00:20 UTC 2013

On 03/18/2013 12:35 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> I can see that if you want to do that then a separate partition is a
> necessity.  I hope we are not going to fall out over this :)

The main reason I use /opt on a separate partition and do my /home
backup as links to there, is that only SOME things, like your email and
browser settings can be safely re-installed intact, and some other
dot-files should not be, as just maybe there has been an upgrade in the
configs that you ~want~ to happen. It takes "discernment", as in it's
better if you decide when to NOT use the upgrade dot-files.

When jumping from 10.4 to 12.4, there is sure to be some major changes
to the /home/user dot-config files/directories. Me, from my own
perspectives, the only thing I attempt to restore is my thunderbird
dot-directory. I use the backup/export features of programs like
firefox, save those files to /opt and restore/import back after a fresh
install. I have done this for some time, as I rarely have problems doing
it this way. Just blindly re-installing a 10.4 /home/user directory back
to a 12.04 version system has got to create a few headaches. But. that's
just my two cents, Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html