re-install

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 19 02:38:11 UTC 2013

On 19/03/13 06:00, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 03/18/2013 12:35 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>

>> I can see that if you want to do that then a separate partition is a
>> necessity.  I hope we are not going to fall out over this :)
>
> The main reason I use /opt on a separate partition and do my /home
> backup as links to there, is that only SOME things, like your email
> and browser settings can be safely re-installed intact, and some other
> dot-files should not be, as just maybe there has been an upgrade in
> the configs that you ~want~ to happen. It takes "discernment", as in
> it's better if you decide when to NOT use the upgrade dot-files.
>
> When jumping from 10.4 to 12.4, there is sure to be some major changes
> to the /home/user dot-config files/directories. Me, from my own
> perspectives, the only thing I attempt to restore is my thunderbird
> dot-directory. I use the backup/export features of programs like
> firefox, save those files to /opt and restore/import back after a
> fresh install. I have done this for some time, as I rarely have
> problems doing it this way. Just blindly re-installing a 10.4
> /home/user directory back to a 12.04 version system has got to create
> a few headaches. But. that's just my two cents, Ric

What you wrote should be worth a lot more than 2 cents - it worth a LOT
more.

I have a folder on my second HDD which contains the .thunderbird,
.mozilla and other folders such as Documents, Downloads etc and which
are all symlinked from my /home to this folder on the second HDD.

I have no need to worry about copyng anything back when I do a new
install of the OS (and I never do an upgrade)  - I simply create the
symlinks in the newly created /home. No stress, no worries, no angst, no
agonlising, no loss of sleep.

The only "worry" I have here is to remember to do a backup of that
folder on the second HDD to the USB memory stick and to the external 2TB
drive.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 with KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.3-1