Dual Display problems in 12.10 and Raring

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 7 20:53:07 UTC 2013

On 7 March 2013 19:31, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/07/2013 04:24 AM, Colin Law wrote:

>>> I haven't tried (since I have already fought the battle and it's all
>>> where I
>>> want it, SORRY!) I think you would just have to define the right screen
>>> as
>>> screen0 and the desktop icons will go there. Then move the launcher bar
>>> the left screen and you should have it ...if that will work. <grins> I'm
>>> using XFCE, so it's a little more bendable. Yup, the panel preferences
>>> has a
>>> selection of which monitor to use. Just checked. I can pick and chose on
>>> what monitor to place the panel/launcher.
>>

>> Ok, if you are using XFCE then it is not likely that you will be able
>> to reproduce bugs in Unity.
>> Thanks anyway.
>

> I dunno if it is a matter of which desktop in use or how you bend your video
> settings. xrandr is the same on any of them, ~IF~ it is in play.
>
> If you type xrandr -q what does it return?? On mine it says "RandR extension
> missing, as the nVidia driver is in charge, so I have to modify the way the
> nvidia driver sees things to make it the way I see things should be.
>
> If you get a positive result, then you are using it to be in charge of your
> dual display and IT needs to be BENT TO YOUR WILL! ...treat it like a bad
> spouse. Go ahead, make your day.

$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2646 x 1024, maximum 32767 x 32767
LVDS1 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 344mm x 194mm
   1366x768       60.0*+
   1360x768       59.8     60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3     56.2
   640x480        59.9
VGA1 connected 1280x1024+1366+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 338mm x 270mm
   1280x1024      60.0*+   75.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.1     70.1     60.0
   832x624        74.6
   800x600        72.2     75.0     60.3     56.2
   640x480        72.8     75.0     66.7     60.0
   720x400        70.1
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

I don't understand, though, what that has got to do with the problem
that Unity will not let me position files or folders on the desktop to
the left of the launcher, or clicking the launcher for an app with
multiple windows puts the focus on the wrong window.

Colin