Ubuntu 12.10 installation problems

lazer100 lazer100 at talktalk.net
Mon Mar 4 18:38:16 UTC 2013

On 04-Mar-13 09:28:18 Sabniveesu Shashank wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM, lazer100 <lazer100 at talktalk.net> wrote:

>> I have tried to install Ubuntu 12.10, the 32 bit Desktop,
>>
>> and the DVD doesnt function.
>>

>> I get total chaos on the screen, with the text "Ubuntu"
>> just about discernible.
>>
>> then later I get a static image of chaos, then a blank screen,
>> then static image of chaos etc,
>>

>> no opportunity is given to say supply boot options,
>>
>> looks like both 12.10 and 12.04.2 dont function on this PC,
>>

>> Ubuntu 8.10 functions on this same machine,
>>
>> I think this hasnt been betatested properly
>>

> Have you downloaded the iso from the original website?

I downloaded via ubuntu.com,

>Then verify its
>integrity using sha1/md5 checksums to see that the download is not broken

how do I verify these checksums?

>Otherwise, I think you have to wait for a bit more amount of time for
>installation to begin. For the first time, it appears to be not happening
>at all where it actually takes more time. Wait !

how long should I wait before giving up?

10 minutes? 30 minutes? 5 hours?

with 8.10 I dont have to wait especially long.

also the fact that the gfx is trashed, suggests something is wrong,

maybe there is a bug with their gfx code, as gfx can be say 24 bit or 32 bit,

with some PCs it will be 24 bit, and with others 32 bit, if you wrongly assume
it is one or the other you will get a trashed screen.