How do I set permissions on a samba connection?

Bob ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net
Tue Jun 25 05:12:32 UTC 2013

** Reply to message from Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> on Mon, 24 Jun 2013
19:26:08 -0400

> > I have an existing system which contains a LAN connected disk drive.  I
> > have added a new computer on which I installed Ubuntu (this is my first
> > linux experience).  From the Ubuntu computer I can read the files on
> > the samba connected drive but I can not write to those files.  I have
> > tried to change the permissions but can not locate where the drive is
> > mounted.  So my question is how do I change the permissions?
>
> Samba/CIFS, is IMO the wrong tool. For starters its intended to talk to
> winders machines, and the last time I checked, was still unable to work
> with the perms diffs between windows and any *nix.

Experimenting with this problem I have discovered that I can create and delete
files using the Samba connection.  I can not update the file after I created it
or any other file that is already on the drive.

It seems to me that there is a problem with the permissions using the Samba
connection.  I would expect that if I can create or delete a file I should be
able to update it.

> You want nfs, but you'll need to do some configuring.  Its all in the man
> pages AFAIK.

The disk drive is a Buffalo 1tb disk LAN attached.  I installed nfs and tried
to mount the LAN disk with "-t nfs", the error message was "connection
refused".  I also tried to mount the LAN disk with "-t smbfs" and got the error
message "mount: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'" even though the man page for
mount states that smbfs is a valid file system.

--
Robert Blair