installation of 13.04 on Asus s550c touch screen

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 15:56:57 UTC 2013

On 14 June 2013 16:48, Gary Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem was the 32 bit version.  Seems to be installing the 64 now.

By the sound of it, you have a machine with UEFI and I believe that
works better with 64-bit Linux, yes.

>From this page I am guessing that it comes with 4GB RAM?
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_VivoBook_S550CA/#specifications

If so, you do not need swap for performance reasons, but beware that
without a permanent swap partition, your machine will not support
hibernation.

If you do /exceptionally/ memory-hungry things, then there are 2
alternatives for temporary swap. You can use either or both together.

zRam:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/174579/how-do-i-use-zram
(Possibly slightly better if you use lots of programs at once.)

Swapspace:
http://www.hecticgeek.com/2012/01/automatic-virtual-swap-space-creator-ubuntu-linux/
(Possibly slightly better if you use a smaller number of programs but
some handle huge files, or many large files)

But in my experiments, note that neither works with hibernation:
http://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/34124.html
http://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/34500.html

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884