Software Updater UI in 13.04

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Wed Jun 12 18:41:20 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-12, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 12 June 2013 14:25, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:
>> The Software Updater pops up automatically when I log in (if there are
>> updates), & the silly new display annoys me.  I guess I'll just close

(Aha, I wrote that badly so it's open to misinterpretation.)

>> it & run aptitude in a terminal then!
>
> So what you're saying is really 2 things then, ISTM.
>
> #1 It's more pro-active at telling you and you don't like that?

Actually, I appreciate the reminder that there are updates available &
the fact that they have already been downloaded when I log in (on my
desktop, anyway).

> #2 It's not really anything to do with the hierarchical list or the
> look of the program?

That is exactly what I don't like: the collapsed tree view by default
& the lack of package names.

> Why not enable automatic-updates, then, and let it do it itself?

I do *not* want the machine installing updates & then potentially
demanding a reboot!  If I see a kernel update available, I may decide
I need to get some work done before messing around with it &
rebooting.

>> That reminds me: is there any advantage of aptitude over apt-get these
>> days?  ISTR there was a reason I switched to aptitude years ago, but I
>> can't quite remember what it was.
>
> It's better at recommending what package contains a
> program/library/file you need, but that's about it for me. It's more a
> Debian thing than an Ubuntu one -- you might get better answers from
> Debianisti.

Thanks, I'll look into it further.