New printer, wine can't find

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jun 6 01:09:40 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 05 June 2013 20:59:21 pete smout did opine:

> On 05/06/13 17:00, Nathan Suchy wrote:
> > Brother HL-3170cdw
>
> Hi
>
> Found this don't know if it helps but Brother drivers for Linux!
>
> http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_p
> rn.html
>
> Pete

I got the stuff I have from there Pete, thanks.  But its slow, like
watching oil based paint dry.  A 1 page .png took about 1:30 (in HH:MM
format) to print a .jpg of a schematic was nearly an hour.  And this think
is rated at 25 pages a minute?  'scuse me?

And the computer isn't bogged down by the effort, its a bit like the
bandwidth thru the USB port is about a byte a second.  htop can see the
drivers working, but they are way down the list, not using any cpu.

Checking the printers firmware version, it was 7 releases behind, but the
firmware updater only works in windows, even then requiring that the
windows drivers for it be pre-installed otherwise the updater can't find
the printer at all!

So, 50 megabytes of windows drivers downloaded and installed, the updater
finally found the printer and everything worked, so the firmware that was
1.04, is now 1.11.  Now I have to find a suitable test image & time it,
something I've not done yet, life got in the way. :)

Thanks Pete.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Q:	What is the difference between a duck?
A:	One leg is both the same.
         law-abiding citizens.