dual booting Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 7 (solved)

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Jun 4 00:25:53 UTC 2013

I had been trying for some time to set up dual booting Ubuntu 13.04
(with / on a solid state drive and /home on a 1TB SATA drive) on a new
box using the Intel DB75EN motherboard with Windows 7 preinstalled.
Although the shop where I had it built does not "do linux" I was able to
interest one of the techs in helping me solve this problem. We were
finally successful after reformatting the drives (previously with GPT
partitioning) to the old MBR standard (max 4 primary partitions, max 2TB
hard drives, etc.) and setting the BIOS to its "legacy boot" mode. After
re-installing Windows 7 I was able to install Ubuntu 13.04 using the
"something else" option on the installation menu (which I had been
unable to do before). Now when I boot up I get the familiar grub menu
with Ubuntu at the top and Windows as a lower-down option. Where Windows
belongs, by the way.

The tech said Microsoft considers Google to be much more of a threat
than linux in terms of the installation of non-Windows software on
Microsoft-occupied boxes. He also said dual booting a Microsoft OS with
anything would be much more difficult with Windows 8.

Thanks for the help on this list -- I've learned a lot.