Ubuntu Preseed Raid 1 with multiple partitions

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 22:22:54 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 June 2013 21:28, Camilo Vieira <camilo.vieira at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I intend to create the following RAID 1:
>>
>>     Partition    Size         Filesystem
>>         /        20GB            ext4
>>         /boot    500MB           ext4
>>         swap     2GB             swap
>>         /backup  10GB            ext4
>>         /opt     all free size   ext4

> Why such a complex layout?

Why not? Although a separate "/opt" on Linux is weird. (I'll assume
that "/backup" and its size make sense.)

> E.g. why mirror swap? Indeed on a well-specced machine why use swap at all?

Why not mirror swap? If for no other reason than ease of partitioning.
You could also use both sides of the mirror as two swap partitions.

If you don't want to use swap, you have to over-provision RAM; and
disks are cheaper than memory...

> For servers, I use a mirror pair for / and a RAID5 for /home and
> that's it. No need to split out /boot, /var, /opt and all that any
> more, not when a terabyte costs the same as a good meal.
>
> I keep /home separate. I give about 16-32GB to / and the rest to
> /home. Job done.

Splitting out "/var" is good practice on a server.