ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 107, Issue 84

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 12:29:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 5:19 AM, Prasad Mhatre <prasad8mhatre at gmail.com>wrote:

> i have install ubuntu 13.04,I want to download the all plug-in for it, i
> have Internet connection but it proxy enables as it is our college wifi,
> most of the sites are blocked by squid ,but the open source sites are not
> blocked.
> Now, when i go to terminal for updating it  or download any software from
> App center then it says that check Internet connection.
> so how to enable this proxy setting for terminal and app center?,
> or
> is it possible to update if i download all files from<<
> http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/raring/>>
> and copy it to /var/lib/apt.Pls tell some way to do so.

You can edit the file /etc/apt/apt.conf and add the following:

Acquire::http::proxy "http://proxy.address:port/";
Acquire::https::proxy "https://proxy.address:port/";
Acquire::ftp::proxy "ftp://proxy.address:port/";

Where the "proxy.address:port" part is replaced with the address and port
of your university's squid server.  This will cause apt to go through the
proxy when downloading packages.

--
Chris

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the
Universe." -- Carl Sagan