(OT) firefox, trackers and ghostery

AV3 arvimide at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 18 15:04:00 UTC 2013

On Jul/18/2013 1:2410 AM, rikona wrote:
> I agree that this is an important topic that needs to be discussed.
> Although I'm not a great fan for off-topic discussions, I will make an
> exception for this case.
>
> Hello Sajan,
>
> Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 12:24:00 AM, Sajan wrote:
>
>> Everyone has a right to be mad about all of this. Just direct it
>> toward the ones doing it secretly.
>
> It depends on what you mean by secretly. Do you give people an
> opportunity to see everything you know about them, and correct or
> eliminate things they want changed? If not, then you're being as
> secretive as anyone else, and you should not be surprised if people
> take offense at what you do.
>
>> When you enter into any transaction with another entity (monetary or
>> not), you give that other entity a right to take a remember
>> information about you.
>
> I don't "give" them that right - they may take it even if I don't want
> them to. There is a difference.
>
>> Even then, I don't think anyone should have any reasonable
>> expectation of your visit to a web page being private.
>
> Why not? If I go to a website regarding sensitive medical information
> or other very private information, I do not want that spread around to
> whoever wants it. It IS private!

No, it is not private, it is a public website. The same rules apply, if
you go to a public library for that information. There may be a record
of your request for information and how it was responded to. Even if you
go to the bookshelf directly, it is a public place and someone may
photograph you taking and reading the material. Even if you bought the
book directly from the publisher or author, there would be a record of
the sale.

I probably agree with you on the desirability of privacy, but once you
involve one other person in your quest for information, you lose your
right to decide exclusively about privacy. That is the practicality of
the situation, regardless of its desirability. It is up to you to devise
a practical strategy for privacy.

||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <arvimideQ at Wearthlink.net>    ||
||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., <arvimideQ at Wearthlink.net>   ||
||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/    ||
||    Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso  ||