(OT) firefox, trackers and ghostery

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Thu Jul 18 16:55:36 UTC 2013

On 07/18/2013 11:04 AM, AV3 wrote:

> No, it is not private, it is a public website. The same rules apply, if
> you go to a public library for that information. There may be a record
> of your request for information and how it was responded to. Even if you
> go to the bookshelf directly, it is a public place and someone may
> photograph you taking and reading the material. Even if you bought the
> book directly from the publisher or author, there would be a record of
> the sale.

WS=> I don't know about the laws in other countries but in the US, there
are laws about library records.  There is even a law that keeps
the DVDs you that rent from video stores are kept secret.  (At least for
brick and mortar video stores.)  We really need similar laws to apply to
the Internet.  If it was good and workable for libraries and video
stores, it is reasonable to apply those same laws to the Internet.

Of course, DoubleClick, Google and a host of other companies in the data
aggregating business will cry bloody murder.  You know what?  I DON'T
CARE!  My privacy is more important than your damn business model.

  <snip>

Bill Stanley