Trying to start kmail on a 12.04.2 install

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jul 12 08:37:15 UTC 2013

On Friday 12 July 2013 04:29:43 Nils Kassube did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me what it means when kmail bails out at startup, with
> > a message in a box saying that it "Cannot create (mutter, I should
> > have written it down)id:2" ?  quotes mine.   ISTR the missing word
> > was resource.
>
> I think I have seen the same or a similar problem after the upgrade to
> 12.04, but that was six months ago and I don't remember the solution.
> IIRC it was something related to akonadi.
>
> What happens if you logout and login again? Can't you get the same error
> message again? Usually you can find a solution if you google the exact
> wording of the error message.
>
> Other than that, you could stop akonadi with the command
>
> akonadictl stop
>
> and then remove the kmail2 configuration file
> "~/.kde/share/config/kmail2rc" and the akonadi configuration files
> "~/.kde/share/config/akonadi*". Then you can hopefully start kmail2 with
> a fresh configuration.
>

> Nils

I have considered something along those lines, but my 10.04.4 version of
kmailrc is about 160k long with 150k of it the filter filter definitions.
I'd druther not have to re-invent all that if I can help it.

So I'll give it a try once by just nuking the akonadi stuffs.  If that
doesn't work, I guess I'll have to nuke kmailrc too. :(

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
<sangr> home is where the highest bandwidth is
         law-abiding citizens.