12.04.2 LTS, new install, network broken

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 17:06:08 UTC 2013

Gene, you are as ever being very hostile and confrontational. Why is
this? People, myself included, are trying to help you, for free, out
of the goodness of their own hearts, and in every message you are
grumbling and complaining and bitching.

This is very unhelpful, impolite and means you will get let and less
help. You more or less completely put me off years ago.

On 8 July 2013 17:45, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> That would not be impossible, Colin, now that I know much of whats needed.
> In this case, make a subdir on the 10.04.4 drive, mount it from the failed
> install, and save those files off so they can be sent once rebooted to this
> drive.

I am not sure exactly what this refers to but if you have a
significant volume of data, just more /home into its own partition.
Then you can share that between multiple installs, Ubuntu, Kubuntu,
whatever, it doesn't matter.

This can even be on another drive altogether. That's how I tend to do
it. Makes backups much easier too.

> I have yet another bare drive I can try that on, but since I'm in the
> middle of making something else work, that will wait for the spare time.
>
> For instance, and I haven't looked to find it other than grub didn't find
> it, and the files are not in the /boot dir of the 12.04.2 install according
> to the grub screen, but this line:
>
> apt-get install linux-image-3.5.7-xenomai-2.6.2.1
>
> After adding the xenomai repo to /etc/apt/source.list and importing the
> zultron-keyring, reported a successful install in the terminal window.
>
> But I have no clue at this point, where it installed it.

Why does it matter?

> Inspecting it now, reading its grub.cfg, I see it is there, but the entry
> is hidden by putting it in a submenu called "Previous linux versions".
>
> Helpful?, not.

Yes, very helpful. It massively reduces the clutter on the boot menu.
A huge list of kernel versions is very intimidating to a beginner.

If you didn't notice it, it means you have not been reading your boot
screen fully. It is right there, always the 3rd line if Ubuntu has
been your default.

> Another change just for the sake of change.

No, a useful, positive feature, but this line is another example of
your pointless complaining.

> Is this a kubuntu specialty?

Moving them onto a submenu been a standard Ubuntu feature for 2 or 3
years now. All remixes do it.

I think many other distros do it, too.

> When done on the ubuntu install that I fixed,
> but have since blown away by re-installing, grub did not do that, it was in
> plain sight on the grub screen.

Then it was a very old version or you didn't get as far as installing
any additional kernels.

> In any event, it brought my work on linuxcnc to a screeching halt.

More editorialising that does not help your case.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884