12.04.2 LTS, new install, network broken

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jul 7 19:24:56 UTC 2013

On Sunday 07 July 2013 15:03:45 C de-Avillez did opine:

> On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 18:18:17 +0100
>
> Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On 7 July 2013 14:17, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > > My whole point in that is:  If it cannot do the job its purported
> > > to be assigned, how did it ever get past QC?
> >
> > I don't think others have this problem so it must be something
> > specific to your setup.
>
> And, so, this begs a question.
>
> Gene, why don't you help QA-ing Ubuntu? It seems you have an
> environment/computer/setup that Just Seems To Fail. It would be really
> nice to find out what is wrong in your case and -- who knows -- even
> add a test for it.
>
> We certainly more than welcome all the help we can get.

I am sure you can.  So would Ric, if he had more spare hardware at home,
but the really big iron he keeps up isn't his.  The secret is to pick out
the clues to get an idea of what's busted when one of us old farts goes off
on you.  Instant defense, and assertions of PEBKAC do not win the arguments
that ensue.  All that does is pour a little more K2 on the fire.

> Cheers,
>
> ..C..
>
> p.s. in all the installs I have done for Ubuntu, I have not experienced
> this error. And I have performed from hundreds to thousands of installs.

Can I assume you ALWAYS had a working dhcpd that would service all comers
in your router?.  And did you make it work without a dhcpd server where the
user had to enter the machines address/mask/gateway data?  For security
reasons, my router only offers dhcp services to my lappy's MAC address.
And maybe that is a clue as to why my woofs color Nook can't connect too, I
need to add its MAC to the routers list of ok clients, something I just now
recalled.

And why did it not, in that case, ask me for nameserver addresses?

And resolv.conf entries?, which I would have been glad to give it had it
asked me.

gnome-network-manager has no place that I have found to enter that data,
and it sure isn't going to work without it.  Or can we now include that
data in the /etc/networking/interfaces file?

It was (putting the nameservers list in the interfaces file) rejected when
I tried that with 10.04.4 LTS.

Thanks C.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
What does it mean if there is no fortune for you?
         law-abiding citizens.