Slow disk I/O - was Re: Seeking Help [Ubuntu Bug??]

geoff at thebakershome.net geoff at thebakershome.net
Sun Jan 27 01:15:52 UTC 2013

> On 26 January 2013 21:25,  <Geoff at thebakershome.net> wrote:
>>> On 26 January 2013 20:10,  <geoff at thebakershome.net> wrote:
>>> Plug in the SSD as well, but still boot 12.04 on the platter drive.
>>> Then go to the SSD and exercise it with stuff that took a long time
>>> before, assuming there was something other than apt-get that was slow.
>>>  If necessary boot back on the SSD and find something else that is
>>> slow first.  Obviously compare the times.
>>
>> There is no point. The platter drives are slow in 12.10 (compiling test
>> done on these)
>>
>> Platter and ssd are slow on this computer with 12.10 but fast with
>> 12.04.
>> Same drives in computer with older hardware and both Ubuntu revisions
>> work
>> great.
>
> You say there is no point doing the experiment, but then you provide
> the results of the experiment (saying the ssd is fast with 12.04 on
> the same mother board that we have been talking about).  So I am
> confused.
>
> Colin

There is no point in the experiment because the data has been collected.

1. SSD and Platter drives are slow with high I/O on 12.10 (20 minutes to
finish apt-get update after download is finished)

2. SSD and Platter drives are fast with high I/O on 12.04 (finishes in
seconds)

3. On old hardware the same drives are fast with both 12.04 and 12.10

Does that help