Seeking Help

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:34:26 UTC 2013

On 22 January 2013 14:04, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> As far as I am aware, the only REAL and painless way to install Ubuntu from
> a DVD is to buy the DVD from a place such as On-Disk.com (Ric! Where are
> you?! Help out here please :-D ) which contains ALL the files on the DVD to
> install Ubuntu.
>
> The DVD you burn from the iso of Ubuntu does not contain all the files, and
> these files have to be downloaded from the Ubuntu site during installation.

Sorry Basil but that is rubbish.  The iso image for the desktop
install includes the vast majority of the files needed for install.  I
installed on a machine from the iso a few days ago and with an
internet connection of only 1.5Mbps it only spent about 20 mins, if I
remember correctly, downloading stuff after doing the file copying
from the image (I was actually installing from USB stick rather than
DVD but the image is the same).

> This is what I understand.
>
> And you mention that you have a 10 Mbits/s connection to the 'net - which,
> to me indicates that you have ADSL. Taking into account how far you live
> from your nearest telephone exchange and how congested the phone line is and
> how busy the Ubuntu server is, you will take a heck of a long time to finish
> the installation :-( .

Most can only dream of a 10Mbps connection.

> So what I am saying here is: let the whole thing run until its finished - or
> buy for $US5 the DVD from the URL I just gave you (you do live in the US of
> A? If not then there would be a similar store somewhere in your locale
> [maybe]) and save heaps of download time by installing from this DVD.

Even if you buy a DVD with everything on it will probably be out of
date by the time you get it and you will still need to download a fair
chunk of updates after installing.

Colin