Wish to dual boot

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 21 23:13:44 UTC 2013

On 01/21/2013 04:46 AM, squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> just bought an HP g6-2208au laptop,
> have re-set bios to boot from optical drive first in both
> uefi and legacy boot order, but machine will not boot from it.
> Have disabled fast boot in windows.
> I am tempted to install ubuntu on the complete drive, but am
> a little afraid that it may not go on. Have installed from the 12.04 disc
> on other machines so think the Ubuntu dvd is ok.
>
> New machine, made recovery disks on it, so drive appears to work.
> HP forums don't give me any help, and would really like to have
> a mobile ubuntu 12.04.
> Any help would be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance
> Take care
> Winton

https://help.ubuntu.com/
Enter 'uefi' and or 'dualboot' in the search box.

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI>
  <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot>
<http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:All#Dual-Booting_Windows_and_Ubuntu>

Keep in mind that an recent HP machine will use all 4 primary
partitions. Yop'll need to save the HP utils to C or D drive in case you
need them in the future, and then delete that primary partition so that
you can use it for Ubunut/other. See:
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/149821/my-laptop-already-has-4-primary-partitions-how-can-i-install-ubuntu>