3T drives showing up as 2.2T

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:52:04 UTC 2013

OK, I kind of feared this might happen.   I've got an old Sun J4400 24
disk array filled with 1T drives.  I want to expand space by replacing
1T with 3T but the 3T drives are only showing up as 2.2 (2T even when
formatted ext4).

What are the possible variables here?

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 (latest) server on an older 64 bit Sunfire
X2100M2 and a LSI JBOD card 3801E, and of course the aforementioned
J4400.

Where is the most likely culprit?

Any way to get the 3T to show up?