moved ubuntu folder from C: to D: drive how to correct UUID entries

Abhishek Dixit abhidixit87 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:32:33 UTC 2013

I had previous Ubuntu 11.10 installation which was done using Wubi in
D: drive of my computer the corresponding grub.cfg entries are

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1546414/

now I wanted to use new Ubuntu 12.04 so I deleted the previous
installation from D: drive
then installed Ubuntu 12.04 I accidentally instead of installing it in
D: drive I installed in C: drive  and grub entries here are
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1546422/

I was not having space in C: drive so I moved the ubuntu folder from
C: drive to D: drive but I surprisingly could not boot,
realizing that grub.cfg needed to be updated I opened the old grub.cfg
(this 11.10 was installed  in D: drive)

and checked the UUIDs  which are (for previous 11.10 install in D: drive)

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 8E9E86339E86143D

linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic root=UUID=8E9E86339E86143D
loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro

in the new 12.04 grub.cfg (which was accidentally installed in C: drive )

has following  (for 12.04 in C: drive)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root E4ACAFF5ACAFC082
linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-29-generic root=UUID=E4ACAFF5ACAFC082
loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro

I have since moved the entire Folder C:\ubuntu to D: drive so it is
now D:\ubuntu

what I notice is the old UUID entries (from 11.10 ) are not the same
as the  UUID entries in 12.04 is there a way to fix this
 ,installation was done in C:\ by Wubi but now I have moved the entire
folder of ubuntu to D: drive
the OS was windows 7 ,Ubuntu 11.10 and Ubuntu 12.04