GNUCash in 12.04 does not have an SQL option

John D Lamb J.D.Lamb at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 16 20:35:12 UTC 2013

On 16/01/13 01:48, Alan McKay wrote:
> Hey folks, my gnucash that I installed from apt-get on my 12.04
> desktop does not seem to have an option to use a SQL (MySQL) database.
>  It only has XML
>
> http://gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/basics-files1.html
>
> That link just sort of assumes you have SQL support and does not tell
> you how to enable it.
>
> Do I have to build this myself with SQL support, or is there a way to
> add it with apt?

gnucash on 12.04 (now 12.10) works just fine for me with mysql. I
suspect gnucash checks to see if it can find an available mysql server
before offering the mysql option: it doesn’t offer me postgresql, which
I haven’t installed.

I suggest you install

mysql-server
phpmyadmin

and all their dependencies (including apache if you haven’t installed it
already). You’ll probably be asked for a root password for mysql when
you install it. I’d also suggest installing a firewall unless you’re
already behind a firewall (for example on your router): you probably
don’t want the mysql and apache servers available to the world.

phpmyadmin requires, I think, some small tweak to the installation files
to make it work. But it is a straightforward way to set up a mysql user
account, whose details you can give to gnucash when you save a file to
mysql.

--
John D Lamb